Monday, July 24, 2017

Shattered by Jennifer Skogen

Synopsis

Title: Shattered
Author: Jennifer Skogen
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
My Rating: 5/5
Add To: Goodreads

After the tragic loss of her mother, fifteen-year-old Natalie isn't sure how to move on with her life. She and her brother are sent to stay with family friend Joan--and her son, Adam--at a small, remote cabin. Natalie is sure this is going to be the worst spring break ever. Through a twist of fate, Natalie and Adam are left alone at the cabin . . . But when a raging storm hits and a falling tree destroys the cabin, Natalie and Adam must figure out how to survive. Shattered is from Survive, an EPIC Press series.



My Thoughts
★★★★★++ Star
I received this book in return for an honest review.

This was a fast short read that reaches out from the pages and just sucks you in.

I have read other books by Jennifer Skogen and I enjoyed them a lot, so when she offered me a chance to read this book, you best bet, I jumped quick at the chance. She did not disappoint. In fact, she blew it completely out of the water. Not only because this book was simply amazing, it was so different from anything else I have read by her. 

I must say, with most contemporary books, you are automatically hit with "insta-love" - it's like some unwritten rule that every author MUST punch you in the face with it in the first 5 pages otherwise your book will just be crap, I guess. (Yes, I do realize I exaggerated a little there, whatever. Move along) 
ANYWAY - I am so glad this book didn't have that! I felt like standing up and doing a cheer when the (eventually) love interest showed up and they weren't automatically sticking their tongues down each other's throats *que up stadium cheer*
What she did do, was ease you in to it. Like there were hints but it left you wondering "Will they or won't they?" 
BABY STEPS, PEOPLE! BABY STEPS! 
Of course when you do trip and fall into those feels, ain't not way in hell you are getting up out of them. Lol You're gonna lay there like "oo... this is kinda nice"

Haha

I really loved this story though. Really and truly. At first I really didn't like the main character. I thought she was snobby and "me me me" but I ended up loving her. I mean she lost her mom. No one is the same after losing a loved one. Everyone changes. Everyone. 

The emotions in this book were so real. I have no other way of putting it. I don't think there is another way of putting it really. I stated earlier that this book reaches out and pulls you in and that is what it does. You feel like you ARE the main character. Every emotion to every physical feeling she had, I felt them all. Nearly drowning is not a good sensation. Lemme tell ya. Lol 

Another plus was how freaking CLEAN this book was. I don't think I have ever read a YA book that was ever this clean. IT'S AMAZING!!!! (See other authors, it's doable! And still realistic!) 

This is a perfect read for any age in my opinion.

2 comments :

  1. Amazing review! You completely sold me on this author! I haven't heard of Jennifer Skogen, but you seem like such a huge fan. I'm adding this to my to-read list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know what you think of this book if you read it. I really liked her Grey Hills series but I admit, it had a LOT of cussing. The storyline was so amazing to me, I couldn't help but love it. Lol. Jennifer has a way of writing that really makes you feel like you ARE the character. Just sucks you in.

      Delete

Back to Top