Saturday, July 8, 2017

{Review} The Rains (Rains #1) by Gregg Hurwitz

Synopsis
Title: The Rains
Series: Rains #1
Author: Gregg Hurwitz
Genre: Young Adult/Science Fiction/Aliens
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

In one terrifying night, the peaceful community of Creek’s Cause turns into a war zone. No one under the age of eighteen is safe. Chance Rain and his older brother, Patrick, have already fended off multiple attacks from infected adults by the time they arrive at the school where other young survivors are hiding. Most of the kids they know have been dragged away by once-trusted adults who are now ferocious, inhuman beings. The parasite that transformed them takes hold after people turn eighteen—and Patrick’s birthday is only a few weeks away.
Determined to save Patrick’s life and the lives of the remaining kids, the brothers embark on a mission to uncover the truth about the parasites—and what they find is horrifying.
Battling an enemy not of this earth, Chance and Patrick become humanity’s only hope for salvation.


My Thoughts
★★★ Star
I received this book in return for an honest review.

I don't like SyFy... at all and the only reason I even picked up this book was because I thought it was about zombies. Yeah, no. I was wrong. I admit that. 

But...

I'm so glad I read this book. It started out really slow and actually, pretty annoying. But there was something about this book that just kept me hooked. I can't say it was the writing. The writing was actually really choppy through a lot of the book. But maybe it was the mystery of the story line of wondering what was going to happen. 

The characters only accomplished one thing and that was - piss me off. The main character is so whiny and is his big brother's shadow - not that he minds in the slightest - he depends a lot on his brother. But the MC was just so weak it made me want to rip my hair out and scream grow a backbone! If you can force yourself through that, around 80% he actually hits a breaking point and starts to develop a backbone - not completely formed by the end of the book sadly, but still in the make, imo. 

His brother was exactly what you expect. Popular, built - typical macho-hero type. The kind you really tend to hate. But... with this book, you can't hate him. It's not possible. He is perfect. The perfect boyfriend, perfect brother, and perfect shot to blow your head away. LOL! 

If there was ever a character you wish you could set on fire, it would be without a doubt - Ben. I honestly do NOT understand how NO ONE stood up against him. I don't get how they didn't attempt to exile him or something.... Okay, maybe I go. Exile the little turd and I am sure he would lead everything from the deepest pit of hell to the front door of the hideout. But still .... he should be shot. 

The ending really shocked me. I didn't see that coming at all. Really. If you forget to breathe, while reading it, just know you aren't alone because I know I held my breath to the last page. Lol the ending def sets you up to not want - but NEED to read book two.

Like I said, I am no fan of SyFy books, but this one I'd make an acceptation for. I NEED TO KNOW!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top