Tuesday, January 30, 2018

{Review} MARY: Unleashed by Hillary Monahan

Synopsis

Title: MARY: Unleashed
Series: Bloody Mary #2
Author: Hillary Monahan
Pages: 245
Published: September 8th 2015
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Genre: Young Adult/Horror/Paranormal
My Rating: 4/5
Add To: Goodreads

Mary in the mirror.
Mary in the glass.
Mary in the water.

Mary lurks in the emptiness, in the darkness . . . in the reflection. That is, until Jess unleashes her into the world. Now Mary Worth is out and her haunting is deadlier than ever.
No one is safe.
Shauna, Kitty, and Jess must band together to unearth the truth about Mary's death to put her soul to rest for good. Their search leads them back to where it all began-to Solomon's Folly, a place as dangerous as the ghost who died there a century and a half ago. Quick sand, hidden traps and a phantom fog are the least of their worries. To stop Mary, they need to follow a dark string of clues and piece together a gruesome mystery that spans generations.
But time is running out.
As chilling facts come to light, Mary inches ever closer to her prey. Can Jess, Shauna, and Kitty break Mary's curse before it's too late? Or will history repeat itself until there is no one left to call her name . . . ?
My Thoughts
★★★★ Stars

I finished this book yesterday after devouring it in just a few hours.

I must say... This book left me incredibly disappointed. It started off well enough. We pick up right where book one ends and the story just seems to be getting better and better.

We start finding out all these answers about what happened to Mary and why she is like this. Personally, it broke my heart and sadly I started rooting for Mary. She definitely had a jacked up life. No one deserves what happened to her.

I'm still left with a few questions though. Mainly when it says when bodies aren't in abundance, she turns to *that*family... What would happen if she killed them and people didn't call on her? Would she be trapped or wither away? 

Can we all agree we hate Jess? She had absolutely no care for anyone else. As long as she was safe, she'd throw anyone and everyone at Mary then cry and say "sorry" when they called her out on it. 

I get this is "Mary: Unleashed" and I have no idea why though. Yes, she's free but we rarely see her. I wanted a bit more Mary this go around. Lol

I'll say this, it didn't fail to give me anxiety. Just like book one, I thought I was going to have a heart attack... Least until I got to the end. It was a HUUUUUUGE let down!!! 

Why would you end it like that? The tension was building and building, you expect this huge explosion of "oh shit!!!"
But there was no explosion. Just left me going "well. That happened. Great. Yay. Okay."

This book would have been amazing of the ending had been better to be honest.

And what oh what is in that field?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top